Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Purpose Statement for photo essay

The Beauty of Earth

Purpose: My motivation for this photo essay is to highlight the unreal magnificence of our planet that a lot of people (myself included sometimes) take for granted. There are things about our planet that most people consider beautiful like a colorful sunset or a full moon, but there are many things that people do not notice. I want to find as many beautiful objects of our planet and put them on display. In the end my motivation is also to show that there is so much beauty with preserving and most people don’t even consider it. I hope that after seeing my photo essay people realize that there is so much amazing stuff around us all the time and you don’t even have to pay anything to enjoy the majority of it. There are a lot of things that contributed to me picking this as my topic, I’ve always had a love of nature and animals but I’ve never taken it much past appreciation. My freshman common reader was garbage land and ever since then I’ve always had something gnawing at me to try my hardest to make a difference and I think it is finally about time I start. The best possible outcome of people seeing my essay would be that they take more time to enjoy the little things that the planet has to offer us: the way a breeze makes the tree blow or how impossibly still water can be if there is not current or disruption. In all honesty I don’t really foresee a “worst possible outcome.” I suppose the absolute worst thing would be that other people find the subject matter boring, which would almost defeat the purpose of this being done in the first place because I want to educate people. I suppose that along with people thinking that it is boring, I could not catch people’s interest which is the opposite of what I want. I guess that this could change the situation by maybe changing people’s outlook on our environment, maybe people would take more steps to reduce their flow of garbage to landfills or maybe reduce their carbon footprint just a little bit.

Audience: On a small scale my audience is my peers in class, who will have to help edit and will see my topic from start to finish. On a larger scale my audience would be anyone who uses the internet and reads blogs and happens upon my blog. So as far as planning my photo essay according to who my audience is I think that I need to make sure that I’m most concerned about piquing the interest of people in my age group, because most of us disregard nature and the beauty of earth and learning more about what makes it worth preserving. Along with people in my age group I should target high school aged students because they can also help work towards a change in attitude that could eventually lead to more of a concrete change in the way things are.



Context: Our class meets later in the afternoon, so it is after everyone has had lunch and maybe a few classes and they are starting to get burned out for the day. In order to keep people engaged and interested in my photo essay I will have to work to make sure that I am going as deep into my photo essay subject as possible. As for it being posted on my blog that makes things a little more interesting because the time of day that anyone chooses to view it wholly depends on that persons schedule and even what time zone they are in. I would think that someone looking at my photo essay online would find it interesting to them no matter what the time of day because it was something they chose to click on, but the same things that applied to my classmates would apply to anyone on the internet: making sure that my topic is interesting and thoughtful enough to keep people interested and perhaps even wanting to know more about what I have to say further down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment